Thursday 12 March 2009

The story so far

I started writing down Terry Wogan's comments about climate change a few weeks ago. I don't listen to the whole show and I don't listen to it every day, but when he does come out with a lump of denialist drivel I seize my shorthand notebook and take it down word for word. Here are some gems from the past couple of weeks.

16th Feb at about 8:45am, reading a letter from "Donny Gall" and chuckling throughout: "'An expert was telling us that the Scottish winter ski industry could be wiped out in 20-30 years due to global warming.' Yeah. I don't think it's appropriate when most of the country is up to its armpits in snow and ice to be talking about global warming. Let it lie for a little, lads, and come back to it when the time is ripe."

18th Feb at about 7:36am, reading a letter from "Andy Notherthing": "'Further to my efforts to save the planet' - aren't we all at it?- 'and a few bob, by driving everywhere at 56mph' - you're a great man - 'I've decided to take even more of the green message into account and save energy in other ways.' Is this from Al Gore, by any chance? No, Andy Notherthing.

'If the standby light on my wireless at home is causing global warming, then it stands to reason that my car lights and indicators are doing the same, so I've stopped indicating and I only drive on sidelights, so everything should be OK. Once again, I'm getting tremendous support from other road users. Not only do they flash their own lights to illuminate my path, but I've had some very interesting things thrown from passing vehicles for... composting.'

You see? Everybody's... All hands to the wheel, as it were. That's very good. Nothing gives me greater pleasure coming in of a morning than to see every empty office block and factory ablaze with light while I'm sitting in the gloaming with my underpowered lights doing my bit for the environment."

23rd Feb at about 7:50am, reading a letter from "Lolly Pop": "'The Welsh Assembly is demanding everyone in Wales walks to work to help control global warming, so' - as long as they're walking in Welsh - 'so could you tell your other listener that if they see Lynn Bowles hitching a lift on the M4 from Splott, ignore her.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment